Kidney stones are one of the problems that both men and women commonly experience today. The periods of formation, development and attempt to lower the kidney stone are quite painful. At this point, people who have kidney stone problems undergo ureterorenoscopy. Because the formation of formations such as stones or sand in the kidney and urinary tract systems directly affects health. In addition, not every person who has this problem can shed kidney stones on their own.
The ureterorenoscopy procedure, also know as URS is a method used to remove stones and similar formations in the urinary tract. Thanks to this method, people who experience intense pain due to kidney stones can ensure that these stones are evacuated without waiting for long periods of time. In this way, the kidney and ureter health of people can be protected.
What is Ureterorenoscopy?
One of the most frequently asked questions by people who want to have or will have a ureterorenoscopy procedure is what is ureterorenoscopy In this regard, it should be known that the term ureterorenoscope is basically a type of examination of the kidneys and urinary tract. This examination can be carried out very comfortably with today's technology.
There is a kind of optical system inside the device called ureterorenoscope. Thanks to this, an examination of both the kidney and urinary canals can be performed. In addition, mentioned device is in the form of a rather long tube. In this way, in addition to detecting kidney stones and sands, the treatment can be completed with the same device.
Which Department Deals with Ureterorenoscopy?
People who will undergo ureterorenoscopy or URS surgery wonder which doctors do this procedure. At this point, it should be known that since ureterorenoscopy is a procedure performed on the kidneys and urinary tract, it is necessary to go to the urology department. Urologists will conduct the necessary examinations by listening to the patient's history and complaints that he has experienced, and if necessary, they will provide the patient with ureterorenoscopy.
One of the most important things to know about ureterorenoscopy is that this operation is performed for small and medium-sized kidney stones. This means that for large and serious kidney stones in the field, surgical interventions can be resorted to directly, and open surgery can be performed. At this point, you will definitely need to make an appointment with doctors who specialize in urology so that the diagnosis can be made and the size of the stone can be determined.
What is Ureterorenoscopy?
The ureterorenoscopy is a kind of kidney screening operation, also known as URS surgery. In this regard, countless people suffering from kidney pain and stone problems look for an answer to the question of what is URS surgery. URS surgery is performed to remove kidney stones seen in patients using an optical device called a ureterorenoscope mentioned in previous titles. In these operations, two different anesthesia methods can be preferred. Although general anesthesia is usually given to patients who will undergo this operation, in some cases, a drug called an epidural with or without sedation that allows only the lower part of the body to be anesthetized may be preferred.
People who are going to undergo ureterorenoscopy should stop their habits such as eating and smoking 6 hours before anesthesia. In addition, the use of drugs with blood thinning properties should be discontinued in accordance with the recommendations of the doctor before surgery. It is advisable to discuss all these details with your doctor individually.
How is Ureterorenoscopy Performed?
Ureterorenoscopy, as mentioned earlier, can be applied both for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes. People with undesirable formations such as stones or sand in the kidney and urinary canals can undergo ureterorenoscopy to get rid of the problems caused by these formations. The steps taken in this operation, also known as URS, are as follows in the list below.
- First, it begins with the administration of appropriate anesthesia to the patient.
- Then a device called a ureterorenoscope is first passed through the urethra and then through the bladder.
- As a result of these procedures, both the urinary tract and the kidneys can be examined.
- A contrast X-ray method may be preferred to detect a stone and find out if there are problems with the kidneys and urinary tract.
- A kidney stone that has been found in its place can be removed with a kind of stone basket. But in stones that are difficult to come out with this method, the stone is first broken down using a laser.
With the steps mentioned in the list above, URS surgery can be done. But, as we have already mentioned, if the kidney stone is very large, treatment with the method of fragmentation and ureterorenoscopy using a laser is unlikely. In severe cases, such as kidney stones are too large and patients cannot even go to the toilet, an open surgery method can be used.
Ureterorenoscopy with Microsurgery
One of the most curious issues related to ureterorenoscopy is the method by which this operation is performed. Urologists often use the ureterorenoscopy method when they are going to perform a surgical intervention to treat kidney stones. In addition, as mentioned in the previous titles, open surgery can also be performed. For this reason, it is not very preferable to perform kidney stone surgery using microsurgery.
In operations with microsurgery, very small instruments and micro lenses are usually used. However, microsurgery is not required because devices with a self-optical system are used in the ureterorenoscopy.
What are the Advantages of Ureterorenoscopy?
Ureterorenoscopy has many advantages. In particular, this method is often preferred in order to protect the health of the kidneys and urinary tract of people. Some advantages of ureterorenoscopy surgery are as follows:
- After this operation, both small and medium-sized kidney stones are evacuated.
- It is possible to eliminate the pains experienced due to kidney sand and stones.
- Abnormal conditions that exist in the kidneys can also be displayed thanks to this operation.
- For those who do not want to have open surgery for kidney stones, ureterorenoscopy is a fairly ideal operation.
- It is much easier for people to urinate.
As can be seen from the list above, the ureterorenoscopy, also known as URS surgery and quite widely used today, has many advantages. People with small or medium levels of kidney stones can regain their health thanks to this operation without having to undergo open surgery.
The Process After Ureterorenoscopy
The process after ureterorenoscopy can pass much more easily than thought. However, at this point, there are some considerations that need to be paid attention to in order for patients to return to their normal lives in a short time. The things that people who have undergone ureterorenoscopy operation should do and the situations they may encounter are listed below.
- Patients may experience burning in the urine for some time. At this point, a catheter can be inserted in some patients.
- Patients should keep their daily water intake at least 1.5 liters. In addition, in order to defecate more easily, more vegetables should be eaten during the recovery process and the amount of meat consumption should be minimized.
- It is recommended not to have sexual intercourse for at least 1 week after surgery. Because having sexual intercourse can lead to urinary tract infections.
- It is very important to rest for 1 week after the operation. During this period, it is inconvenient to carry more than 5 kilograms of weight, ride a bicycle, run and swim.
People who pay attention to the issues mentioned in the list can easily get through the healing process. It is very important to consult a doctor in case of any complications during this period.